here’s the church, there’s the steeple but take a look inside…
*Tiny Disclaimer: My use of
"the church" throughout this post is simply
the body of Christ-followers as a whole. Not any specific church or
So I have been coming back and forth to typepad over the last couple days
just struggling with what to write. Every entry I would begin just turned into
something that wasn’t quite right.
The main topic I’ve been running circles around is "The Church."
Not out of any true discontent in my own church home but from my own
observations and overheard words and things I’ve read from other people. There
has just been a lot false thinking and false truth being said outside the walls
of the church and because of this – I am trying to get a better understanding of
why even people go to church… what do they believe the purpose of the church
is… how did they even begin going… how many people go to church just out of
routine and miss the part about growing deeper on your own or in a small group… why people believe and just expect to be spoon-fed …
So instead of me attempting to understand
every self-proclaimed Christian in "Today’s American Church Body" – I ask you – my fellow Christian
(or even Non-Christian) the following questions. I would love for you to answer
and just answer honestly in this safe space (safe because alias names are always ok).
The American Church
- Why do you go?
- How did you begin going?
- What do you think the
point of church is?
- What do you expect to get out of it?
- What do you feel you are
"owed" for going?
- Are you doing anything outside of that 1-hour on Sunday to grow?
Thanks friends. I really hope this can ignite some true discussion – not
simply for the sake comments but because I think it SO important that people
understand the role of the church and the bigger role the church body has in
this whole play).
Old School Crowder Lyrics read them – they’re powerful…
All I Can Say
Lord I’m tired
So tired from walking
And Lord I’m so alone
And Lord the dark
Is creeping in
To swallow me
I think I’ll stop
Rest here a while
And didn’t You see me cry’n?
And didn’t You hear me call Your name?
Wasn’t it You I gave my heart to?
I wish You’d remember
Where you sat it down
And this is all that I can say right now
And this is all that I can give
I didn’t notice You were standing here
I didn’t know that
That was You holding me
I didn’t notice You were cry’n too
I didn’t know that
That was You washing my feet
1. I go because I want to. I love the fellowship, and I know the bible says not to ‘forsake’ it.
2. High school youth group, I came from a non-christian family, found love and acceptance from the people at church.
3. Points- Honoring God Jesus and Holy Spirit, building our faith, faith of others, supporting those who have needs.
4. Growth knowledge increased faith
5. Persecution-probably would make the church experience more valuable for me…though don’t know if I am tough enough to survive.
6. Yes personal bible study daily, devotional time with hubby daily, weekly meeting with home group, worship practice at home and with my team, living a life where I fall down all the time that gives me opportunities to learn!
i will reply to this more indepth tomorrow evening…great questions girl! i have not been at my computer for about 24 hours. 🙂 and it is bed time again. loe you.
1a. To learn and grow closer to my savior.
1b. To hang out with other believers…to encourage and be encouraged by those who are in love with or who are learning about Christ.
2. My parents had had enough and were like “That’s it, we are going to church!” That was like when I was 13.
3. Praising God and being discipled.
4. Praising God and being discipled.
5. An accountably from those who are in leadership. Deep, thought-provoking, true, sound doctrine.